There are couple of things that I would do differently. What I had in mind for the essay initially was I wanted to do more of a survey of Canadian music. I think it might have also been interesting to focus on a more concrete time and place. I think it would have been better to take a microhistory approach to this essay. That way I could have focused on one place’s music. I think I could have written an essay purely on Nova Scotian music and the Scottish influence. I would also pick a specific time period such as World War I. I think I would have been able to go into more detail about the music and the technical aspects of it.

Another thing I might try to do for my future projects is do as much research as possible earlier on. I tended to only do the minimum research each week, and I think I would have benefited from looking at a wider range of research from the beginning. I would have been able to reflect on the readings more and see how they connect to the course. This is something that I need to work on not just for this class, but what I have to work on for all of my classes.

Another approach I could have taken is looking at international influence in a contemporary setting. Instead of focusing on the distant past, it might interest readers to see how Canadian music is influenced in modern terms. If I used modern songs, it would have helped people relate more.

I think it is important to think about what I might have done differently after each assignment because it could give me ideas of what to do for my next project. This shows that inspiration can come from the past, even past assignments. Hopefully through reflecting after each assignment, my assignments will become better and better.